HDR Remodeling Inc. is proud to be a member of the Berkeley ADU Taskforce. Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs), also known as granny flats or guest houses, provide multigenerational housing, guest quarters and/or rental property, all with a relatively small environmental footprint. We recognize that the demand for housing is a concern for many East Bay Area residents. This is why our team is at the forefront of constructing ADUs and educating the East Bay community on what it takes to build ADUs.
Building an ADU may seem like a complicated concept, but did you know that in Berkeley for instance:
- You can have a kitchen and bathroom in the garage converted into a permitted ADU.
- You can build up to a 750 square foot guest house or up to 75% of the size of the main residence.
- You can construct the new unit up to four feet from the property line.
- If you have a garage or other structure within the set back area you can convert it into an ADU.
- Off street parking is not required for newly created ADUs. However, replacement parking is required if the new ADU occupies existing off-street parking.
- If you are near BART, Berkeley city will waive the additional parking requirements with some conditions.
- Design review is waived for ADU permit.
- You can live in either the new ADU or the primary housing unit.
If you are an East Bay homeowner thinking about an ADU or tiny house, HDR Remodeling can help you. HDR Remodeling specializes in designing and building one story guest houses from the ground up or converting existing structures such as basements or garages into ADUs. Your ADU planning starts with a meeting in your East Bay home, where we assess the ability to convert or construct your unit.
Having a knowledgeable Design & Build contractor like HDR Remodeling guide you through the project ensures that your ADU is built legally, on time, and within budget.
Designing an ADU
HDR Remodeling’s Design Team will work with you to determine if it is possible to convert part of your primary residence into an ADU or if it is better to build a new structure. Our team will also create a custom design of the architectural layout and interior of your project. HDR Remodeling handles everything from plans, permits and zoning to plumbing, electrical, and fixtures and finishes.
We recommend working with an experienced and innovative Design team who can tell you that, given the smaller space of a tiny house, it is desirable to design a “great room” that holds the living room, dining room, and often the kitchen to create more open space. Including a visual to the outdoors will also make the space feel larger than it is. Our trusted team will also take your design wishlist to create the ADU you envisioned, integrating it seamlessly with your primary residence to add value to your property.
Building an ADU
HDR Remodeling is your one stop shop for innovative, quality, energy-efficient, and environmentally friendly ADUs. Our “Build It Green” certified Build Team will construct your ADU using building practices that create healthier living spaces and reduces the impact on the environment.
This is our commitment to you:
- Create designs that minimize the disruption to the surrounding natural environment.
- Use responsibly produced and/or recycled building materials.
- Divert construction debris away from landfills.
- Conserve water and energy with highly efficient fixtures and appliances.
- Be mindful and responsive to in-home air quality during and after construction.
Whether you are just contemplating an ADU, looking for a contractor, or want more information about the process, HDR Remodeling can help you with your project.
Learn more about ADU specifications in your city then call HDR Remodeling for your complimentary in-home consultation.